Latest Posts

NARS Velvet Matte Skin Tint : Review

By 11:22 , , ,

Pure skin. That's what NARS is going for this Spring/Summer with the latest introduction of the NARS Velvet Matte Skin Tint SPF 30. It meant to makes skin look like skin and not masked with loads of product. The NARS Velvet Matter Skin Tint is designed using the velvet illusion complex that protects and perfects the skin with a soft-matte finish. Rose Fruit Extract visibly minimises the appearance of pores, while controlling shine. Vitamin C,E and broad spectrum SPF 30 protect against free-radical damage caused by environmental stress.


As far as skin tints go, this wasn't what I expected at all. I expected a really light formula with a corresponding light coverage. Instead I got a slightly thick consistency with buildable medium coverage. Now that's different. The consistency makes it easy to apply and even out. The medium coverage allows me to hide the lighter scars and only use concealer for the darker ones. I like to apply it with my fingers and then just quickly even it out with brush. As promised, the finish is soft matte and it makes my skin appear smoother than it actually is. However I find that it feel a tad heavy, like I actually have stuff (makeup) on my face. Despite the soft matte finish I do need to powder down the t-zone area because well, it has a mind of its own.

To ensure that I get that pure skin look, so that the shade would appear 'continuous' I was swatched for both the Velvet Matte Skin Tint in St. Moritz and Radiant Creamy Concealer in Biscuit (I usually wear Custard to make my under eyes look brighter). Although I think Biscuit is a bit on the pink side compared to the skin tint.

In the photo I'm wearing NARS Velvet Matte Skin Tint in St. Moritz and Radiant Creamy Concealer in Biscuit.
The satin-like finish starts to settle in after 30 minutes after application and it looks nice. After about an hour and half my nose starts getting oily and soon after my forehead follows. Two hours in, there seems to no longer be any product on my nose. This meant that blotting and powdering could no longer help the situation, I actually had to reapply the Velvet Matte Skin Tint on my nose. It lasts for about 4-5 hours before my entire face starts to get too oily and patchy. After which, there's just no saving it.

This as about 3 hours after application with some blotting
I tried it with a base which does make it last longer but would defeat the purpose of the product being a no fuss easy to use skin tint. It would basically be just another foundation. I like the coverage and the finish for as long at it lasts and I suppose this would be one of those products I would reach for at the weekend or for a chilled out brunch, but not one I would go for on normal days when I know I will be out for more than 9 hours.
NARS Velvet Matte Skin Tint comes in 12 shades and I was matched to St. Moritz (Medium 1) which is described as a medium with neutral yellow undertone. I wouldn't say it's the perfect match for my skin tone considering that it does oxidise a tad darker 30 minutes after application but it's the best match out of the 12 shades it comes in.
NARS Velvet Matte Skin Tint retails at RM170 (30ml) and is available at all NARS outlets.
*Product courtesy of NARS Malaysia.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Appreciate your comments >_<