Latest Posts

Review: Burberry Velvet Foundation

By 22:20 ,

Remember I did a post on Burberry's Autumn/Winter 2012 collection about 3 weeks back. Oh wow that's long? *laughs* You can read the post here. So I got the latest addition to the Burberry Skin line, the Burberry Velvet Foundation which was introduced together with the Autumn/Winter 2012 Collection.



Burberry Velvet Foundation is a longwearing foundation with a matte, soft velvety finish. It is inspired by the iconic trench coat, making it lightweight with breathable texture. It contains Wild Rose extract that offers lasting hydration and regenerates dry skin.

According to the info I have, Burberry Velvet Foundation contains gelled oil components and is made with innovative silicone elastomer to get that soft focus effect. We all know, of course if you have been following me for a while, that I have issues when it comes to products containing silicone or variants of any kind. 99% of the time they don't work for me.

It comes in a frosted bottle with a matte lid which reflects the foundation's formula and finish. The Gunmetal lid features the iconic Burberry check. This must be one of the most angled foundation bottles I've come across. I'm assuming they were going for a simple look with clean lines.



Here's a rare feature, you can actually lock the pump dispenser just by twisting to avoid accidental pumpage (yes there is such a word >_<) or spillage.The pump dispenser is easy to control and dispenses only the amount needed. The texture is light gel-like and blends out with ease but blend it out quickly though I find that is sets rather fast. One layer gives a light coverage so if you are looking to cover up a bit more apply a second layer. The coverage is easily buildable due to the light texture giving you that medium coverage.





However two layers did not cover up my annoyingly recent dark acne scars. Tiny as they may be, I still noticed their presence. If you do have scars or discolouration, some sort of concealer is still needed.

Upon application, the matte finish is obvious. I feel it looks a tad pale but that could also be the shade issue. It lasted about 40 mins before I noticed it oxidising, that's when my nose started getting oily. After about 2 hours, I noticed the foundation starting to look patchy and slightly grey-ish. It lasted about 4 hours before I had to take it all off. Well, that's oily skin for you. 



With regards to formula, despite the long lasting description I believe that the Velvet Foundation might be more suitable for those with dry-normal or combination skin that's not too oily.

With regards to shades available, unlike the Sheer Foundation, the Velvet Foundation is available in limited shades. Currently only 8 shades. The one I'm wearing is No.205 which is far from my being a suitable match for my skin tone. Then again foundation shades are always a problem due to my yellow undertone. Looking at all 8 shades, it seems that they are more suited to you babes with pink undertones, cooler undertones or ones who are not so yellow.



All in all, the Velvet Foundation is not for me due to formula and shade. But if you are interested in trying it out, just drop by a Burberry Counter and get the BA's to try it out for you.

Burberry Velvet Foundation is available at all Burberry counters and retails at RM175 (30ml).

*Note: Product courtesy of Burberry Beauty Malaysia.

You Might Also Like

4 comments

  1. Interesting how you managed to take both photos in the same angle xD

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that shows I've been doing this too long.. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm guessing that's what they were going for, just like the trench!

    ReplyDelete

Appreciate your comments >_<